What is hydroponics?
- A technique of growing plants without soil
- Involves soil-less growing medium, such as coconut coir, peat moss, and grow stones
- Plants are placed in PVC channels that are supplied with water automatically
- The water is recirculated and reused, requiring less water and keeping fertilizer out of the watershed
- The channels are stackable and movable, allowing more plants to fit in small spaces
The lettuce and tomatoes grown in the greenhouse are sold to Mason Dining, managed by Sodexo. Each harvest is incorporated into the recipes and salad bars at Ike’s, right next door. In exchange for the produce, Mason Dining contributes toward the greenhouse's operational costs.