Reuse, Reduce, Recycle
In addition to recycling, Mason also reduces and reuses to minimize our waste impact to the planet.
- We reduce the amount of items we purchase and make sure that the things we buy are less harmful to the environment. For example, double sided printing, as opposed to single side printing, will cut down paper usage.
- We reuse and repurpose items already produced, saving money and the environment. For example, Starbucks and Einstein’s Coffee offer a monetary discount for customers who bring in their own reusable cups and mugs.
George Mason University also has several other programs to minimize our waste:
- A surplus store, where department across campus can get donated items for free
- Hydration stations in most every building to encourage the use of reusable water bottles
- Annual Patriot Pack Out during student move-out, where students donate clothes, appliance, and food that would otherwise be thrown away when moving out of their residences
- Annual “Green Game“, where attendees of a Mason basketball game are encouraged to go zero-waste by recycling and composting
- Composting program introduced to Southside Dining Hall in 2018, and efforts to increase composting to all dining halls on campus
- Refuse collection and disposal services are provided by the Physical Plant on a daily basis through contract services.
- For new bins, replacement bins, or special pick-ups, please contact the Customer Service Center at 703-993-2525 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may also submit your work request online here.
Facilities Customer Service Center: call 703-993-2525 or email email@example.com
Facilities Customer Service