The Patriot Green Fund
The Patriot Green Fund (PGF) is a $100,000 per year sustainability fund devoted to making Mason’s campuses more sustainable through infrastructure improvements and student research projects.
Who Can Apply?
Any current student, faculty, or staff member may apply for funds to support a sustainability project.
Pick Your PGF Project
There are two types of Patriot Green Fund projects:
- Research projects help solve challenges in any of Mason’s surrounding communities or the Metro D.C. region in general.
- Research projects must have an undergraduate or graduate student leading the project – research projects led by faculty alone are not eligible.
- Infrastructure projects upgrade facilities or tangibly reduce environmental impact on any of Mason’s campuses.
- Mason students, staff, and faculty can all apply for funds to do an infrastructure project.
- Students who are leading an infrastructure project must identify and work with a faculty or staff mentor outside of the PGF Committee.
How Can Funds be Used?
- PGF funds may be allocated to purchase supplies and materials essential to the completion of the project.
- PGF funds are available immediately upon the Committee’s funding approval. Project funds must be expended by May 31st unless special permission is requested.
- All purchases must go through the university and obey all purchasing rules. Purchases are made directly through the PGF Committee or a JV can be issued to university departments or offices that purchase supplies and materials on the PGF’s behalf.
- PGF funds are not issued directly to students, and the PGF will not reimburse students for items purchased directly.
- Infrastructure improvement projects requesting over $20,000 and research projects requesting over $5,000 are strongly encouraged to apply for other grants or obtain funding from other Mason departments.
- The PGF cannot guarantee that it can cover all project-related costs. Questions on eligible items should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Examples of things that cannot be be paid for with the PGF include: gift cards, stipends, giveaway items, prizes, laptops, and food, among others.
- If you have any questions, email email@example.com for help.
Apply Before the Deadline
PGF applications should be submitted prior to the deadlines for the PGF Committee to review:
- *Small-scale projects requesting less than $1,000 are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Deadline 1: Friday, September 23, 2022
- Deadline 2: Friday, November 4, 2022
- Deadline 3: Friday, February 10, 2023
- Deadline 4: Friday, March 10, 2023
Start Your Application Now
Submit the interest form and a member of the PGF Committee will provide you with one on one support to guide you through the application process.
Contact the PGF via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.