In the summer of 2011, the Mason administration approved the creation of the Patriot Green Fund (PGF), which is a $100,000 per year sustainability fund devoted to making Mason’s campuses more sustainable through infrastructure improvements and student research projects. One of the most unique and innovative components of the PGF is the emphasis it places on student participation. Students not only comprise the majority of the PGF Committee, but can also directly apply for funding to lead their own projects when supported by a mentor.
The Patriot Green Fund operates with three distinct goals:
- Enable students to conduct research and implement scholarship-related projects that demonstrate environmental leadership and benefit the Mason community and surrounding region.
- Reduce Mason’s environmental impact by making tangible improvements to habits, facilities, and operations.
- Improve awareness of, and support for, building a culture of sustainability on campus and in our communities to grow a strong community network of stewardship.
Any current student, faculty, or staff member may apply for funds to support a sustainability project. Please review the available guides below for more details about the type of projects that will be supported by the PGF. Some important notes:
- Research projects should help solve problems in any of Mason’s surrounding communities or the Metro D.C. region in general.
- Research projects must have an undergraduate or graduate student leading the project – research projects led by faculty alone are not eligible.
- Infrastructure projects should upgrade facilities or tangibly reduce environmental impact on any of Mason’s campuses.
- Students leading infrastructure projects must identify and work with a faculty or staff mentor outside of the PGF Committee.
- For projects requesting less than $1,000, you may complete a Quick Fund application and submit it whenever it is ready.
- Projects seeking more than $1,000 will need to complete a two step process, which involves the submission and approval of a preliminary application before a final application will be considered.
- All application submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for review by the PGF Committee
- Please check out the Frequently Asked Questions page for additional information.
Preliminary and final applications should be submitted prior to the deadlines for the committee’s review:
Deadline 1: Friday, September 18, 2020
Deadline 2: Friday, October 23, 2020
Deadline 3: Friday, December 4, 2020
Deadline 4: Friday, February 5, 2021
Deadline 5: Friday, March 5, 2021
Deadline 6: Friday, April 2, 2021
Quick Fund Applications can be submitted anytime and will be reviewed on a rolling basis between Fall 2020 – Spring 2021.
Application Forms and Guides
Please download and read all relevant application guides before submitting any applications to the PGF Committee.
- PGF funds are available immediately upon the committee funding approval. Project funds must be expended by May 31st unless special permission is requested.
- PGF award funds may only be allocated to purchase supplies and/or materials essential to the completion of the project.
- PGF funds cannot be used for travel or to award scholarships, stipends, or other forms of compensation.
- PGF will not reimburse students for items purchased directly. All purchases should go through the university and obey all the purchasing rules. All funds are transferred to university department/offices for the purchase of the supplies and/or materials. The funds are not issued directly to the awardees.
- Infrastructure improvement projects requesting over $20,000 and research projects requesting over $5,000 are strongly encouraged to apply for other grants and/or obtain funding from other Mason departments.
- If you have any questions, email email@example.com for more information.
- Successful PGF projects completed by undergraduate students qualify for a Mason Impact transcript designation! It is required that they submit their project accordingly once it is complete as well as participate in the OSCAR Celebration of Student Scholarship and Impact.
- Undergraduate students may also be eligible to receive additional financial assistance for expenses that the Patriot Green Fund cannot cover through a Mason Mini Grant.