Mason’s Office of Energy Management is encouraging all students, faculty, and staff on the Fairfax Campus to participate in the “Lights Out! Power Down!” event on Tuesday, June 26, from 2 to 3 p.m.
As a large consumer of electricity, Mason has enrolled in “Interruptible Load Reliability” (ILR), a program that pays customers in exchange for a commitment to reduce electrical load in the event of an electrical grid emergency condition that could result in outages.
Mason has participated in the program for the past five years. With an annual 2,000 kilowatt reduction commitment, Mason has received $400,000 to date. This year, Mason has set 2,000 kilowatts as our reduction commitment participation.
To participate, do the following prior to and during the one-hour event:
- Turn off non-critical lights in offices, common areas, and hallways
- Turn off personal computers and accessories not in use
- Turn off shared electronics (televisions, projectors, copiers, printers, fax machines, etc.) not in use
- Unplug appliances not in use
- Turn off laboratory equipment not in use
Facilities Management HVAC and Building Automation staff will reduce air conditioning levels in select, non-critical areas. Those impacted will be notified prior to the event.
For questions, contact Patrick Buchanan at 703-993-2657 or firstname.lastname@example.org.